Basement Remodeling and Finishing in Northern Virginia
by Summit Design Remodeling
Basements have become what Americans typically refer to as the lower living levels. Virginia homeowners are now using their basements for a multitude of purposes. Summit's team has experience creating magnificent though functional spaces including:
- Basement Home theaters
- Game rooms
- Basement offices
- Exercise rooms
- Bedrooms & baths
- Basement Bars
- Kids play areas in Basements
Build-Outs and Conversions
Approaching basement remodeling build-outs and conversions means the designer has to consider many variables. Summit considers a successful basement design one that maximizes every square foot of usable space, has an open feeling, and includes the features the client wants and needs. However, before you begin the design build process, there are a number of factors to consider:
- Is the space dry? If not, getting the moisture out is the first step.
- Low ceilings. Most of the newer homes in Northern Virginia and Maryland have adequate ceiling heights. However, there are a lot of older homes with barely enough headroom to meet current building code requirements.
- Lack of the required egress. Maryland and Virginia building codes are strict about having adequate egress out of a basement in case of emergency.
- Low hanging pipes and ducts. Summit's designers can usually design your space to be functional working around these obstacles.
- Support columns in the wrong locations. Moving support columns can be expensive, but it is possible.
- Plumbing in the wrong locations. We do not recommend putting basement bathrooms in a specific location just because that is where the plumbing drains are located. For a contractor to relocate the drains is not expensive. Never sacrifice design functionality just to accommodate a drain pipe.
Basement Remodeling Consultation
If you're anxious to get started with a contractor and live in Northern Virginia, contact Summit and let an experienced design consultant show you how our process can help you create a basement that is both functional and well designed. Call us for an appointment at 703-537-0930. For more basement remodeling tips and ideas, please visit Summit's blog and read our basement remodeling articles!
Our qualified basement professionals in Northern Virginia can help you with:
- Constructing a Basement
- Basement Contractors
- Designing a Basement
- Custom Designed Basements
- 3-D Design
- Basement Layouts
- Basement Builders
- Basement Building Plans
- Northern Virginia Basement Building Codes
- Basement Waterproofing
- Finishing a Basement
- Basement Finishing Ideas
- Basement Flooring
- Basement Lighting
- Basement Remodels
- Northern Virginia Basement Remodeling