The Design Build Approach
Benefits of Design/Build
The design/build approach to remodeling allows homeowners to hire the services of a remodeling contractor to not only design the project but to construct it as well. This eliminates the need for homeowners to hire the services of an outside architecture firm to handle the design of their remodeling project. A true design/build philosophy includes the services of a designer, either on staff or in direct relationship with the construction company. By choosing design/build, homeowners have more control over the design, budget and construction process. Responsibility for on-time and on-budget lies with the design/build contractor.
Why use a design/build firm?
There are two major components to any remodeling project - the design phase and the build phase. A homeowner has a choice to use a separate resource for each phase or use one company that manages both phases. An example of the first is to use an architect to draw up your plans and then find contractors to do the actual construction work from those plans. In contrast, a design/build firm will manage both the design phase and the construction phase of your project. Design/build companies offer several advantages over the multiple-company model:
- Working with one company from start to finish means that the responsibility and accountability lies with one firm for all of your design and construction work.
- One point of contact for all questions and communications as the project moves forward.
- Less chance of confusion between the person who designed the space and the contractors who will construct the space. No finger pointing between multiple parties if something goes wrong or doesn't make sense. Often homeowners are disappointed by plans that look good on paper but can't be built when the hammer hits the nail. By combining the design and construction team, we know what we design can actually be built.
- Redesign work tends to be minimal as much of the work is done up front. Any project refinements during the construction phase can be quickly discussed and appropriately addressed and/or implemented.
- Design/build firms know the cost of materials and labor. You can rest assured that the cost estimates will be accurate and perhaps more importantly based on your project budget. Summit Design Remodeling take these costs into consideration as we develop a design that works within your budget range. Surprises and budget overruns are less likely due to detailed planning.
- We are accustomed to being "in" the space, not just creating blueprints. A construction background gives the designer a better perspective on the use of the space. They are experienced in creating "the final result" of their designs.
- Design/build firms understand project timing and scheduling. Summit Design Remodeling is familiar with permits, lead times and how long each task should take to complete. We also have relationships with suppliers and tradesmen we can refer to during the design process. All of this adds up to better timing for the completion of your project.
Summit Design Remodeling is a full service design/build firm. We're with you every step of the way. From project concept to completion, homeowners deal with just one company, committed to quality and excellence in your project.